Monday, September 6, 2010

My Family History

Herodotus Style

In the year of 1934, with the birth of Francis Stilling, a new generation of life was formed. Francis, my grandfather, has told me an abridged version of his life. Francis was the son of the sailor Francis John Stilling and his wife Ann. Francis suffered many hardships in his life due to the estrangement of his parents at a young age. There was a great mourning when his family was thrust apart and he and his sister were sent to live with his grandmother. My grandfather told me that he chose to become a sailor because he wanted to follow in the footsteps of his father, who was also a sailor. With this decision of his, his new adventure in life would begin. Several years later he would meet his love, Rose Mary, my grandmother. The two then decided that they would have a family, and they gave birth to three children. The eldest was the only boy, and also named Francis. The next child was named Belinda, and the youngest was named Dawn, my mother. Dawn would then grow up to meet a college student named David Flair, who would become my father. These two would marry and have two children come out of this union. The first was George Martin, my elder brother, and the second was myself, Zachary David Flair, my middle name coming from my father. I was later told my mother wanted my first name to be David, but my father disagreed and they decide d it would be my middle name. This would then commence the beginning of my life. My parents tell me that as a child I was a very shy, quiet, and observant child. I was not a very talkative child, and mainly my brother would assume the role of talking for me in situations. They also tell me that whatever my brother was interested in that I would always copy him or try to be like him, hanging out with his friends for hours. From the time that I was born, my family would always take frequent trips down to the Delaware shore, to visit my grandparents. Whenever we visited I was always intrigued with the water and had to jump in the water, no matter the season, winter or summer. As I matured my interests began to lean towards sports and I became an avid fan of the Maryland Terrapins. I began to attend games at a very young age and have continued to support the team.

I have always felt very fortunate to have a loving family that supports everything I do. Our family has always enjoyed large family gathering for birthdays, religious accomplishments, and other noteworthy reasons for us to gather. Strong family roots trulyconnect a family for a lifetime.



Thucydides Style

The history of Francis Stilling began with his birth in the year 1934. Francis was born to his parents Francis John and Ann. Francis was thrown into trouble when his parents were divorced in the year 1937 and he and his sister went to live with his grandmother. Francis John was a

sailor during his life, which inspired his son Francis to become a sailor also. Francis then followed his father and joined the navy in the year 1952. This entering into the Naval Academy led to a new period of his life. He then met his future wife Rose Harden in 1959, and then married her the following year, on March 17 1960. A small ceremony with family and friends was held to commemorate the event. The two then created a family of their own, with their first son Francis being born on February 28, 1961. Their next child, Belinda was born on January 29, 1964. And the youngest child, Dawn, my mother, was born on June 26, 1966. Dawn would then grow up to meet a man named David Flair, her future husband. The two married on

May 20, 1988. Their first child George Martin was born on July 29, 1992. Then, three years after my brother, I was born on April 18, 1995. I was born in the evening and was a robust nine pound and seven ounce baby. During my life as a child, I grew up visiting my grandparents’ house often, which was on the Delaware shore. I have made countless trips to the ocean and have always loved visiting there. As I child I was also highly involved in sports, from playing in rec.

leagues to attending Maryland Terrapin games, I have always loved sports. My family is also very large in having gatherings in order to keep us connected, ranging from birthday, to celebrating accomplishments, or just a yearly family reunion, we try to remain together.


No comments:

Post a Comment