Sunday, September 26, 2010

Information on the War of the Roses

Part I: Historical background on the War of the Roses

Henry V – Henry the fifth was a Lancastrian king who was crowned in 1413, at the age of 26. He spent most of his kingship involved in the hundred year’s war in France, with his most notable victory being the Battle of Agincourt.

Henry VI – Henry the sixth was an infant king who was crowned in 1422 (and later in 1470). He was the king who lost the hundreds year war. He also clashed with Richard, Duke of York, who believed he was the rightful king. He was eventually captured by the Yorkist and forced to admit Richard as the rightful heir to the throne. He eventually lost the throne in battle the Richard son, Edward IV.

Edward IV – Edward was a Yorkist king who came into power in 1461. To come into power, Edward and his father led the Yorkist in battle in the 1450s, until with the victory at the battle of Mortimor’s Cross. He was king until 1470, when the Lancastrian army forced Edward to flee to Holland, ending his kingship…for now.

Henry VI – Henry became King again for a short time in 1470, after Edward had left England. However, in 1471 Edward returned and captured Henry, having him executed.

Edward IV – In 1471 Edward returned to England, defeated the Lancastrian forces, executed King Henry, and regained his kingship. He was king until 1483, with his death.

Edward V – Edward was only 12 years old when his father died, leaving him to become the next King of England. However, he was taken by his uncle, Richard III and eventually murdered.

Richard III – Richard forcefully takes the crown after his brother’s death by taking his heirs and imprisoning them. He took over in 1483 after Edwards’s death, and was killed by Henry VII two years later.

Henry VII – Henry was the first Tudor named king, in the year 1485. Henry was now the head of the Lancastrian family. Henry then tried to unite the Lancastrians and Yorkist by marrying Elizabeth of York in 1486. He was king until his death in 1509.

Part II: Richard III: Fact and Fiction

Shakespeare portrayed Richard as a hunchback, sly, and evil individual because that was the way in which history remembered him. The Lancastrians wrote history, and viewed their enemies in a negative light, which was passed down through history.

Ricardian – This is a source that supports Richard III and wants to change the image portrayed of Richard, They believe that the view of Richard as a deformed, evil person is a fallacy, formed by the Lancastrians who came into reign after him.

Lancastrian – This is a source which does not support Richard III, and is more in line with the house of Lancaster, and does not view him in a favorable manor.

Traditionalist – Traditionalists are those who stood by the Yorkist and Richard III during his time, and were against a change in power.

Revisionist – Revisionists are those who wanted change from the York’s and Richard III as the reigning power.

from Vergil, Polydore. Anglica Historia, Books 23-25. London: J. B. Nichols, 1846.

This first passage is written in the Lancastrian point of view. This writing views Richard III as a less than favorable individual.

And so was thinnocent chyld pullyd owt of his mothers armes. Richard having by this meane obtaynyd almost his hartes desire, convaighed his nephewys from the bysshop of Londons howse unto the Towr”

This quote talks about how Richard forcefully took the thrown and had those who stood in his way, executed.

Horace Walpole (1768)

This passage is written in the from the Ricardian point of view. This passage believes that the recorded history of Richard as an evil, deformed, sly fellow is inaccurate and wishes to correct it. Right from the beginning it states how his figure may have been misrepresented by his actions.

“With regard to the person of Richard, it appears to have been as much misrepresented as his actions.

It also talks about how some viewed Edward as “the handsomest man in the room except his brother Edward, and was very well made”. This severely contradicts the idea that Richard was deformed, and seems that these descriptions were dramatized to represent an evil man.

Part Three: The Battle of Bosworth Field

Poem on King Edward III


I am Edward, King of my land,

My most precious land, my land of England.

This is the land of my fathers, the land of my kin

Here is my story, and now I shall begin. [1]


Ah, I remember how it all began

The year of 1483, ‘twas so grand.

My brother, poor Edward has passed

But now, I had the throne within my grasp [2]


Now I must do away with my nephews

They cannot spoil the plot I am about to brew.

With them gone, I can seize the throne

Now my might shall be known! [1]


How dare they say that I am not the rightful king?

Why would they ever say or think such a thing!

I obtained the thrown through power

If they argue, send them to the tower! [3]


Now they are uprising against me?

Henry Tudor thinks that the rightful ruler is he?

He thinks he is the one in command?

We shall see after this battle, who controls our land [2]


This cannot be!

I am the King and I believe not what I see.

My men have fallen, my enemy risen,

All right in front of me. [1]


I am Edward! I cannot be defeated!

Especially by this man, my most hated adversary

How could I have been so unwary?! [3]


Now I fall, on my loved country

I have lost, to put it bluntly

My kingdom, my land, my home,

All taken, along with my throne. [1]


Now I lay under Henry’s sword,

With him grasping for my crown as his reward

I realized this was my last breath

Now, I shall finally meet my death. [2]


"RICHARD III - A MAN AND HIS TIMES." Web. 30 Sept. 2010. . [1]

"The Richard III and Yorkist History Server." Richard III Society - American Branch. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. . [2]

"Richard III." Richard III Society - American Branch. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. . [3]

Poem on King Henry Tudor

Henry Tudor am I

And this land of England shall be mine

This, you cannot deny. [1]


In the year of 1457 was I born.

I knew one day the crown I would adorn

I would then become the leader of my family, the wonderful Tudors

For my enemies, their shall be none left to mourn [1]


We will go and make battle Richards men

We shall battle, defeat him, and then…

I will be king! I will be king!

I shall have control over everything! [2]


We are victorious! We have won!

We have defeated close to everyone.

Now where is Richard, where is this man?

I must find him to fulfill my plan. [2]


Here you are Richard, my hated rival

Now, I must quell your hopes of survival

With you gone, I will now be supreme

This feels more wonderful than a dream [3]


Here is my crown, it gleams so bright

It certainly and surely was worth the fight

My enemies have fallen, that are nowhere in sight

Oh my, oh my, this is simply such a delight. [3]


Now, I must go on to rule, and unite these to houses

First I shall marry Elizabeth of York, and we shall be spouses.

Our families will now be united, as one.

An entire new era has begun. [4]


My reign has began, and it shall be ever so grand!

It feels wonderful to be the man, the man in command

I shall take England in to a wonderful time

I will not stop until the last bell has chimed. [2]


"Primary Sources: The Death of Elizabeth of York and the Betrothal of Princess Margaret to the King of Scots, 1503." EnglishHistory.net. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. . [4]

"Primary Sources: The Obituary of King Henry VII, 1509." EnglishHistory.net. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. . [1]

"Richard III Society- The Ballad of Bosworth Field." Richard III Society - American Branch. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. . [3]

"Tudor Monarchs - Henry VII, One." EnglishHistory.net. Web. 30 Sept. 2010. . [2]

1 comment:

  1. Nice job with the poems. Got the traditionalist and revisionist definitions backwards, though.

    ReplyDelete